Skip to main
Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

How do I apply for graduate housing?

To apply to live in Graduate and Family Housing, new graduate students must be admitted to the University of Kentucky as full-time students. Returning students must be in good financial and academic standing and pursuing a full-time graduate degree. 

To apply to live in one of UK's Five Graduate Communities, you must complete the Graduate and Family Housing Application within myUK

To apply to live in the Graduate and Professional wing of University Flats, you will apply here

Is there an application fee?

Yes; there is a $50 nonrefundable application fee to be submitted at the time of application. Please note that your application will NOT be processed unless the fee has been paid.

How do I verify you received my application?

Graduate and Family Housing will send a confirmation email message once the application is received. You will receive a second email confirmation once the application has been processed. If you do not receive either confirmation message within a couple weeks, contact the office at or by telephone at 859-257-3721.

When will I know if I have a confirmed reservation?

If an apartment is available, we will notify you via email at least 30 days before your requested move-in date. If you have not heard from the office 30 days prior to your arrival, please contact our Reservation Associate, Jay Dunn, or call the office at 859-257-3721.

What if I arrive prior to my requested move-in date?

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide temporary housing. On rare occasions, we may be able to accommodate an earlier move-in date. Please call our office if you find that you will arrive sooner than you originally anticipated. If we cannot accommodate your request, you will need to make alternate arrangements such as staying in a hotel or with a friend.

What should I do if I arrive after regular office hours?

You will receive after-hours key pick-up instructions via email shortly before your arrival.

When will I sign my paperwork?

If you arrive during normal office hours, you will sign the license agreement and other paperwork, and pick up your apartment and mailbox keys at this time. If you arrive after-hours, you must come to the office to sign your paperwork on the first business day following your move-in. Please bring all apartment occupants who are 18 years of age or older with you as anyone over 18 years old MUST sign the license agreement as well.

Do I have to pay utilities?

Water, sewer and electric are included in all on-campus residential facilities. Basic cable and internet are included as well, except at 625 S. Limestone and 633 Maxwelton Court.

Are the residential units furnished?

Most units are furnished; visit the furniture link for additional information. If you plan to use your own furniture or just your own bed(s), please let us know when you apply. 

Can I use my furniture?

Yes. There are two options:

1. We remove all of the university-owned furniture so that you can use your own furniture

2. If you only want to use your bed(s), we will remove the university-owned beds but will not remove the other individual pieces of furniture. If you plan to use your own furniture or just your bed(s), please let us know when you apply or at least five days prior to your confirmed move-in date. If your request is made within five days of your confirmed move-in date OR any time after moving into a residential unit, there will be a minimum $25 labor charge.

Can I bring my own washer and dryer or dishwasher?

No. The only washers, dryers and dishwashers allowed are the ones furnished by Graduate and Family Housing. You will be charged a heavy fine if a non-university washing machine, dryer or dishwasher is found in your residential unit.

What laundry facilities are available?

The Shawneetown complex has a laundry room in each building. There is one central laundry facility in Greg Page and LTS 625 S. Limestone. The washers and dryers accept debit or credit cards for payment.

What should I bring with me?

Plan to bring basic items such as dishes, cooking utensils, pots and pans, linens, blankets, towels, washcloths, computer, television, stereo, microwave, etc. If you are coming to the United States from another country, you may want to wait and purchase many of these items after you move into your apartment. You will need to supply your own cleaning tools (mop, broom, vacuum) and cleaning supplies. You will also need a CAT-5 cable to connect your computer to the provided modem.

NOTE: You are NOT allowed to bring your own dishwasher, washing machine or dryer.

Do I have to move out of my apartment during the summer or at the end of the semester?

No, provided that you will be a full-time student for the upcoming semester and you are a first- or second-year licensee (resident). Most third-year licensees (residents) will be able to remain with Graduate and Family Housing. This will be subject to availability as first- and second-year licensees (residents) are given first priority. Residents in the fourth year of their license agreement will most likely have to move off-campus. However, should there be an excess of available apartments, fourth-year residents may be offered an opportunity to participate in a lottery for remaining vacancies.

Will I have a roommate?

Graduate and Family Housing does not assign roommates. Single graduate students may elect to have one roommate of their choosing. The roommate must meet our full-time student eligibility requirements. Both roommates must sign a license agreement and other housing paperwork. This makes both of you “jointly and severally” responsible for the terms of the license agreement such as rent, fines and any charges assessed to the housing account.

Can my domestic partner live in the residential unit with me?

Same or opposite gender individuals may reside as roommates provided both meet the full-time student eligibility requirements as defined on this website or in the Resident Handbook.

I will have an automobile. How much does parking cost?

All of our apartment communities have their own designated parking area. Parking lots are maintained and operated by Transportation Services. Residents can apply for their parking permit online. Your hangtag will only allow you to park in your assigned community. All information about parking at the university (including rates) may be found on the Transportation Services site. Short-term guests and guests of residents must go to the Transportation Services office to obtain a temporary parking permit.

How do I get landline telephone service?

Telephone service for the apartment complex located at 625 S. Limestone and 633 Maxwelton will be established through the provider for the city of Lexington. In Greg Page and Shawneetown, telephone service is established through the University of Kentucky. Instructions will be provided when you check in at the housing office. When you sign your license, we will give you instructions that will guide you through establishing service. You will be responsible for paying monthly telephone charges (basic service, long distance and/or repair charges). You will need to purchase a telephone as telephone equipment is not provided by Graduate and Family Housing.